Wednesday, June 20, 2012

DIY Polka Dot Nails

 
Hello, Dolls! 
Today I have a special DIY tutorial brought to you by a friend of mine named Kamen, she is the owner of KaKa Beauty Blog.
 
I've absolutely loved having her guest post & I’m hoping this will not be the last you see of her on SewCal Mama.

Without further ado, Meet Kamen. 


One of the many things I love about being a blogger, is the supportive community that you’re instantly welcomed into! I’ve recently joined a group called F.B.L and the amount of support and inspiration I have received from the girls in there has been incredible! It is also here where I met Tia from http://sewcalmama.blogspot.co.uk a life, travel and DIY blog! Tia kindly invited me to write a guest post on her blog, and gave me the freedom to blog anything of my choice!

Unfortunately I am not as savvy as Tia with DIY, so I decided to do something that is sort of DIY…

Polka Dot Nail Art! 


I love polka dot nails purely because they look simple and fun! However, despite their simple appearance, achieving perfect polka dots can quite frankly drive you nuts, or dotty in this case?
So what is the secret? Nothing! All you need is a steady hand and a good tool! The trick in polka dots is getting the spacing between the dots right! Once you get the hang of it! It should be a breeze! 

Polka Dot Nail- Step by Step Guide


FINISHED
THINGS U NEED
What you will need:
  • A base coat
  • A top coat
  • 2 colors of your choice
  • a dotting tool or Kirby clip if you don’t have one
  • a piece of scrap paper
Items Used:
Nails Inc. Base Coat
e.l.f Cosmetics Nail Polish, Smoky Brown
American Apparel Nail Polish, California Trooper
Seche Vite Top Coat
Dotting Tool, eBay
Piece of scrap paper

SONY DSC
Apply a base coat to protect your nails from staining and allow to dry.
SONY DSC
Apply two thin coats of your chosen polish and allow to dry. I have reversed the colors on the ring finger just to mix it up a little. You don’t have to do this if you don’t like of course.
SONY DSC
This is where your little bit of scrap paper comes in. Place a dot of polish on to the paper. This is for dipping your dotting tool/Kirby clip in to apply the dots.
SONY DSC
Dip your dotting tool or clip into the drop of polish. Now you are ready to start dotting!
TIP: Clean you dotting tool with a nail polish remover soaked pad in between rows of dots to avoid clumps  and keep the manicure mess free!
Begin by creating the middle row of dots first, start from the bottom and work your way up towards the nail tip.
Next, do the same on left and right side of the middle row of dots. Make sure the dots are evenly spaced and sized. You don’t want them to look squished or clustered. Once finished, you should only have 3 rows of dots.
SONY DSC
Once you do all your fingers, it’s time to apply a top coat to finish the look! You will see that a top coat instantly perfects the dots! I don’t know why, but the dots always appear rounder and tidier once the top coat is on!

FINISHED

That’s it guys, perfect polka dot nails in 5 easy steps! I hope you found my first ever nail art tutorial useful and easy to follow! I hope to be doing more of these in the future so any feedback would be great!
Thanks for reading guys!
Ka Ka

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Those look awesome! I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl :) I will be posting my version soon!

      Delete
  2. Who knew this could be so easy?!?! I'll have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany,
      I would love to see pictures if you do! :D

      Delete