With the kiddos back to school and the seasons a changin’, noting is easier and more heart warming than a nice bowl of oatmeal on a crisp Fall morning, especially homemade variations like ones I’m about to show you. Enjoy this money and time saving recipe for DIY Instant Oatmeal. You can even whip up a special batch for everyone in your home!
My favorite is the apple and cinnamon blend, Mmmm.
- 4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup dried + diced apple ( I soaked mine in apple juice and cinnamon for 30 minutes prior to drying)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread oats on a rimmed baking sheet; bake until lightly toasted but not browned, about 15 minutes. Let cool. Pulse in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Mix in 1 cup of a combination of add-ins (see more suggestions below), and stir in sugar, salt, and cinnamon, or more to taste, before storing in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- To Serve, stir in boiling water until desired consistency is reached. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes.
VariationsToasted almonds + Dried apricots + Flaxseeds
Coconut Flakes + Diced Mango + Pepitas
Walnuts + Dried Cranberries + Sunflower Seeds
What are some of your favorite Autumn time breakfasts?